The Lawn Institute invites researchers to submit proposals for funding as part of the 2022 TLI Call for Proposals which is now open. Applications are due December 15th, 2021. Please reach out to Dr. Casey Reynolds at creynolds@TurfgrassSod.org or 847-737-1846 with questions.
TLI Research Objectives
The Lawn Institute (TLI) is a charitable foundation that was created in 1955 to assist in and encourage the improvement of lawns and sports turf through research and education. The TLI website www.TheLawnInstitute.org provides homeowners, lawn care professionals, policy-makers, and others with research-based information on the care and importance of natural grass as an essential component of urban and suburban landscapes. Applications for research funds can be requested on any topic, but the TLI Research Committee will place priority on proposals in the following research areas:
- Cultural Impacts of Natural Grass – Research that includes, but is not limited to societal health and well-being, fitness, athletic field safety, socio-economics, consumer attitudes, etc.
- Environmental Awareness of Natural Grass – Research that includes but is not limited to, carbon sequestration, heat abatement, pollution entrapment, soil remediation, run-off reduction, etc.
- Natural Grass Input Reductions – Research that includes, but is not limited to drought tolerance, reduced water use, nutrient requirements, traffic tolerance, integrated pest management, etc.
- Extending Harvested Shelf-Life of Natural Grass
- Reducing Production Costs of Natural Grass
- Natural Grass Research Communication & Education – Information that can be used to develop content on The Lawn Institute website for educating policymakers, homeowners, and the general public on turfgrass science, management, impacts, etc. This can include literature reviews on environmental impacts, turfgrass benefits, regionally specific turfgrass selection and management, weed/insect/disease control, and more.